YarnAngelKnits

about the essentials of life...knitting, designing knitting, yarn for knitting...you get the idea...

My Photo
Name:

I'm a knitter, knitting pattern designer, and spinner. I also dye yarn with both acid and natural dyes.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Another FO!

Another day, another Finished Object. I love when that happens.

This one has a story. Back when my kids were little, like many children, they lost everything. Things went to school with them, never to be seen again. Sweaters, jackets, hats, mittens, scarves - you name it, they lost it. Not to mention the standard homework, notes to/from teachers, lunch money. Those I couldn't do anything about, but the hats and stuff...well, I had a system. Each boy had his assigned color and I kept a supply of yarn on hand in those colors. I had a set of standard hat/mitten/scarf patterns in multiple sizes always available. So, when 2 mittens went to school and only one (or none) came home, I would pull out my supplies and get to work. The next morning, the forgetful one had a replacement.

Of course, the boys came by this knack of losing their apparel naturally. Oddly enough, their mother has a similar skill. I have a coat and matching scarf that I bought when my older son was about 6. The scarf was attached to the coat with one of those plastic string things (like the ones that hold on the price tags). It still is. All those years and still, the plastic loop. That's the only reason I still have the scarf!

Last winter, The Man Of The House gave me a new coat. (Do you think it might have had anything to do with the shape the coat from DS's childhood was in?) This coat is beautiful. It didn't come with a scarf attached with a plastic thingy. Oh, dear...a beautiful coat deserves a beautiful scarf, and what knitter worth her/his salt wouldn't provide one? Except...you know. I'd lose it.

Thus, the moebius scarf came to be. If it's hung around, completely around, my neck, just maybe I can hold on to it. So, here it is - modeled with said coat.

OK, but now my head was cold. So, I designed a hood...but winter became spring, and the project lost its urgency. The hood sat, 3/4 knit, on my desk (where I put projects that are supposed to nag me). And today, da da dee dah!


Though I think it needs a better model!

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoutj said...

Lovely!! And hey! I see a button!

August 23, 2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Thanks, Scout. Yeah, there's a button, now I just need to link it. Thanks to your mini-tutorial at scoutj.com, I know how!

August 24, 2006 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home