YarnAngelKnits

about the essentials of life...knitting, designing knitting, yarn for knitting...you get the idea...

My Photo
Name:

I'm a knitter, knitting pattern designer, and spinner. I also dye yarn with both acid and natural dyes.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

And now for something completely different...

Three years ago, The Man Of The House and I went on what we call The Big Trip. We started in Houston, drove to LA, and then went up the Pacific Coast Highway to Seattle. From Seattle we headed across country to Montana, then went back south through Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, and finally back east to Houston. As I said, The Big Trip.

On said trip, we spent one night in Santa Cruz, CA. The Man had been there before, when he was working in the Bay Area. He remembered a place for breakfast that he just knew I would like. We had to drive around a bit, but we found it. And I did like it. A lot.

Last year, we were in the area again. The Man went to the motorcycle races and I explored. Once again, I drove around a little and finally found the restaurant. It was just as great as I remembered it.

This summer...yep, third visit. Why do I keep going back? This year we stayed in San Jose and I waiting until I got to Santa Cruz for breakfast. And I'm an out-of-bed-and-get-the-coffee kind of person.

Baked oatmeal. Wait, it's better than it sounds. I'm not much for oatmeal - that texture reminds me of old-time school paste, and I learned early on not to eat that. But baked oatmeal - well, to me it's kind of like bread pudding that I can have for breakfast. Without all that guilt.
I love this stuff. The restaurant knows they have a winner, and they aren't divulging their secret. But I've been thinking.

And I think I've arrived at something very, very, similar.

Try it, you'll like it.





Baked Oatmeal

1 C oatmeal
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1 C flour
3 eggs
1/2 C raisins

3 cups milk

In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add cinnamon, vanilla and flour and stir to mix. In a large bowl, measure oatmeal and add sugar. Add egg mixture, stir lightly (don't overmix). Stir in raisins and milk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, spray 13 x 9 pan and pour in batter. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Serve in a soup bowl with a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar and a drizzle of milk or cream.

Keep in mind that I'm in the high desert at 5000 feet. At a lower altitude, I'd add a smidge more flour, reduce the milk a little, lower the temp 25 degrees and shorten the baking time (start checking at 30 min.)

Bon appetit!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good. But how much milk?

September 25, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh, my...how could I forget the milk?
It's 3 cups.
I'll fix it!
Marie

September 25, 2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home