YarnAngelKnits

about the essentials of life...knitting, designing knitting, yarn for knitting...you get the idea...

My Photo
Name:

I'm a knitter, knitting pattern designer, and spinner. I also dye yarn with both acid and natural dyes.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Beret and Socks Finished!

This fall is turning into a clean-up the projects time. I've always been kind of turned around as far as the calendar goes. I guess I'm stuck in childhood - my year seems to start with the fall, rather than Jan. 1. Comes from the back to school thing and it doesn't help that I was a teacher. So, with the beginning of my new year, I'm finishing things up and starting new projects. Now, if I can just get around to the fall (spring for the rest of the world) cleaning!



I've finished the beret - or at least this version of it.
I love sock yarn - this is made in Opal Rainforest Zebra. It has matching socks. Why, you ask? Because when I showed the finished socks to The Man Of The House for effusive praise, he said they looked like a hat. Hmm...but the hat turned into a beret and the beret turned into a short row beret and...turned into an exercise in shortrow wrapping and picking up in pattern and ended with grafting, also in pattern. Actually, it's not hard. Once I figured it out. By the time you knit this pattern, you'll understand how short-rowing and grafting actually work and they'll never frighten you again.

Actually, I lied. This pattern isn't finished. Oh, the beret is. But not everyone likes to work in fingering yarn on size 0 needles. So, next, I need to adapt it for DK or worsted. Stay tuned...





Next kind- of- finished project. The lollipop socks. These have been submitted for publication, so I can only show the bottom at this time. The yarn is Lorna's Laces in Happy Valley. I used a new heel on these - or at least new to me. It's the Sherman Heel from Mary Lycan. It's a kind of finished project because I'm not certain of where her copyright ends and public use begins. I've e-mailed her for any objections.






Now, for the new. I've started my scarf for the Red Scarf Project. Several times. In fact, if I were to have to cast on yet again, I'd need to trim the yarn and start on a new part. I'm finally happy with this section...but ready for a new stitch pattern. Back to charting...

By the way, it actually is a beautiful red from Brown Sheep. The pillow it's resting on is a bright orange.The light around here is weird today, and with or without flash, I can't get even enough color to Photoshop.


Okay, I confess. I just included this photo because I wanted to play with writing on photos. It's not as easy as it should be.

I highlighted the border because it gave me fits. What looked great on paper looked awful in wool and so - back to the graph paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home