YarnAngelKnits

about the essentials of life...knitting, designing knitting, yarn for knitting...you get the idea...

My Photo
Name:

I'm a knitter, knitting pattern designer, and spinner. I also dye yarn with both acid and natural dyes.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

One down...

and one to go!


Once again, the colors are wonky. I wanted the navy rug in the hall as a background, but it's a cloudy day and there are no windows in the hall. But you can get the idea.

Look at those coral stripes! I love, love, love the way they turned out. And they are coral, not orange, I promise. They're bright, just not that bright.

A long, long, time ago, my older son started kindergarten. He was, shall we say, a challenging child, and kindergarten was extreme culture shock for him. They wanted him to color inside lines? Not draw? There was no fence around the playground? Didn't they know he could escape (his word) any time he wanted? (and he did, often) Why did they want him to stay in his class when they weren't doing anything interesting and that other class, over there, was doing something really cool?

He was also exposed to popular culture. This kid, that I'd dressed in polo shirts and khaki pants, fell in love with a Spiderman t-shirt. It had to be peeled off him. I mean it, he wore it until it was much too small and he had to struggle mightily to get it on or off.

Which led to the request that these socks remind me of (yes, really, there is a tie-in). Keep in mind that this was a first grandson on both sides. Christmases were huge. When Christmas came around that kindergarten year, and I asked the boy what he wanted - he wanted striped socks. That's it. And he stuck to it. Striped socks. Not plain white or blue or grey, striped.

Of course, he got them.

And now I have mine.

You know, if I thought he'd wear them, I'd knit him some like this, in memory of the small boy that was, er, challenging.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That looks great. I bet your son would love em!! I would knit him some anyways!!

September 28, 2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Thank you, Brandy. I'm afraid that I'd have to knit him yards and yards of a plain color for him to wear them now! He's gotten pretty conservative in his appearance nowadays.

September 29, 2006 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home